Melasma aka Pregnancy Mask is a skin condition characterized by discolouration & hyper pigmentation patchiness, often symmetrical on the face.. particularly cheeks, forehead and chin. While not completely understood, triggering factors can include skin trauma, pregnancy, fluctuating hormones, photo-sensitizing drugs, some cosmetics, thyroid, drug allergies and inflammation.
Also known as pregnancy mask, melasma is most often linked to pregnancy. While stress and thyroid disease have also been identified as a possible contributors, external triggers such as heat, electrolysis, laser and other skin traumas can exacerbate the condition, with the biggest trigger being the sun.
Controlled Melasma Peels Me-Line®
This treatment option describes the process of using peeling agents to remove layers of dead skin cells.
The Me-Line process includes pre-peel preparation, peel and then a programme of aftercare to be used at home. Homecare products are formulated to continue the peeling process in a safe and progressive manner, improving the visible effects of melasma, while controlling further pigmentation from occurring. One can expect
- Excellent results related to hyperpigmentation, melasma aka pregnancy mask.
- Excellent results for issues related to aged skin, including fine lines & wrinkles, sun damage & age spots.
- Visible results with acne-prone skin, large pores and post inflammatory pigmentation.
- Excellent results with melano-hematic pigmentation.
The best approach to treating melasma is to begin with a consultation whereby your custom treatment plan will be described in detail.
1) Pre-treat the area by suppressing melanocyte activity to prevent further damage from occurring (ingredients and protocols to be discussed with your melasma treatment provider).
2) Possible in-clinic treatments matched with your skin type – this could include exfoliants used at home.
3) In clinic treatments could include: Corrective facials, Spectra Carbon Laser Peels, Micro Needling, Fraxel Laser.
What is critical is that you understand the benefits and risks with each option.
Melasma skincare that includes ingredients with tyrosinase inhibitors and natural brightening agents (resveratrol, kojic acid, arginine and arbutin) are most effective – especially if custom blended to match the patients overall skin condition.
Avoid Melasma Triggers:
Before stepping out into the sun, be sure to apply sunscreen SPF 45+ – this is critical in preventing further damage at source.
● Choose a sunscreen that offers UVA & UVB protection with an SPF 45 to 50.
● If you are athletic or a swimmer, find a sunscreen that is waterproof.
● Find a product you like wearing, otherwise you will not use it.
If you suffer with melasma it is a good habit to apply sunscreen every morning, to ensure you aren’t caught off guard. (Reapplying every two hours if you’re in sun for an extended period or swimming.)
Other Treatment Options for Melasma
● Exfoliating Facial Acids
Ingredients & products that shed off the top layer of the skin can help pave the way for new skin cells to replace the old ones. This important process evens out your skin tone and makes your skin smoother. Examples of face acids are azelaic acid, salicylic acid, kojic acid, glycolic, Vitamin C (or ascorbic acid), and alpha hydroxy acids (e.g. lactic, malic, or tartaric acids).
● Chemical peels for Melasma & Pigmentation-
These treatments lighten the skin and minimize the appearance of hyperpigmentation by eliminating thin layers of damaged skin cells. Medical grade peels are available in deeper strengths and will target varying depths of damage, while addressing pre and post-synthesis of tyrosinase. Avoid over the counter peels, especially if you have Melasma, opting for science-based treatments that also address the root cause of patchy discolouration.
● Spectra Carbon Laser Toning
Also known as the Hollywood Facial this treatment is not painful and is very safe, for all skin types, especially when pre- treated with products that will suppress / “turn the tap off” on the production of melanin. The key to laser toning lies in a carbon facial mask that is highly attracted to the laser light, resulting in tiny micro-explosions that dislodge debris and excessive buildup of discoloured cells. The result is brighter, clarified skin.
● Silk Peel
This non-invasive dermal infusion treatment can be an effective & supportive treatment to help lighten and clarify the appearance of the skin. Silk Peel simultaneously exfoliates while infusing actives such as Vitamin C or Peptides that help reduce discolouration, restore hydration and rebalance for a brighter complexion.