Our eyes speak volumes about our emotional and physical health. Therefore, careful attention should be paid to how we treat the surrounding tissue area so we can project the best versions of ourselves, as well, look and feel confident.
Most will agree that finding the perfect product for the eyes can be challenging — for every product that exists, there are claims that it addresses a multitude of problems: wrinkles, dark circles, puffiness, and the appearance of fatigue. While some might opt to use “any old” product under their eyes, there is proof that a dedicated eye cream is essential for one simple reason: the skin around the eye contour is different from any other area of the face or body. Here are a few eye facts you might find interesting:
Eye Area FACTS:
- Tissue around the eyes is 10x thinner than the skin on the rest of our face and body. (Lips are also very thin, but the eye area is more delicate.)
- With fewer oil glands to support eye tissue, skin in this area is susceptible to sun damage, dryness, and wrinkles.
- Blood vessels are much smaller in the skin surrounding the eyes, accentuating the effects of poor hydration or circulation.
- With age, fat pads under the eyes start to diminish and nearby skin will lose its “snap” — resulting in a sunken appearance.
As you begin your eye cream search, here are a few ingredient facts that will help guide you towards formulations that naturally treat wrinkles, dark circles and puffiness:
1. Small molecule carrier oils. A base made of oils (e.g. jojoba, grapeseed, and sunflower seed) absorbs quickly, without clogging tiny pores in the skin around the eye area.
2. Natural antioxidants support skin function. Botanicals (horsetail, periwinkle, bilberry, rooibos) are high in antioxidants and minerals. They not only protect the skin from oxidative stress, they help support optimal skin function.
3. Ingredients to increase micro-circulation. Eye tissue benefits greatly from improved micro-circulation. When formulated with scientifically proven ingredients, a quality eye cream can soften the appearance of dark circles and reduce puffiness.
4. Super oils with concentrated omega-3, -6 and -9. These can have a softening effect on wrinkles. Look for carrot seed oil, prickly pear oil, chia seed oil, or red raspberry seed oil.
5. Hyaluronic Acid and peptides – Hyaluronic Acid (HA) is known to help skin attract and retain moisture. Peptides known to support collagen renewal.
While there’s no eye cream or serum on the market that can meditate, sleep, and hydrate on your behalf, Clarity Medspa and Laser has curated several effective eye products — each formulated with powerful actives — to help revitalize, nourish and restore. For more information about our unique skin treatments in Toronto, call (416) 960-2222.