The skin is the largest organ and is vulnerable to external conditions. Usually when we think of weather-related skin problems, sunburn and heat rash come to mind. However, winter provides its own set of skin challenges.
During colder months, freezing air penetrates the skin. In wintertime, dry and dehydrated skin, chapped lips, breakouts, and dandruff present as new problems. If you have dermatitis or eczema, these conditions might worsen in frigid air.
Prevent these skin problems by:
1. Moisturizing. Daily moisturizing is always recommended to combat dryness and keep skin supple. Choose moisturizers that are rich and appropriate for your skin type, and get a professional recommendation if you have particular skin challenges. Remember to use sun protection factor (SPF), even in during winter months. Applying night cream is also recommended.
2. Hydrating. Dehydrated skin isn’t necessarily dry or flaky. Dehydrated skin can feel tight and greasy. To prevent this from happening, choose gentle face products recommended by your physician or medical aesthetician.
3. Healing. Chapped skin and lips are open and exposed. To counter common winter dehydration, apply lip ointment (balm) or a high-quality moisturizer. Cover all areas of skin that may be exposed to harmful elements on cold days.
4. Conditioning. The scalp is also a sensitive part of the body. Dandruff is caused by dry skin, sensitivity to hair products, and conditions like psoriasis or dermatitis. To avoid dry scalp, use salon-quality shampoos and conditioners. If you require anti-dandruff shampoo, select a gentle version that soothes.
5. Eating properly. Your skin reflects your diet. For a supple, glowing face and body, eat fruit and vegetables rich in vitamins A, C, and E:
- Vitamin A helps skin and mucous membranes repel bacteria and viruses.
- Vitamin C has antioxidant properties.
- Vitamin E repairs damaged skin by strengthening capillary walls and improving moisture and elasticity. It also acts as a natural anti-aging ingredient.
For better skin care throughout all the seasons, call the experts at Clarity Medspa and Laser Centre: (416) 960-2222. You may also visit our Toronto office or send an email to request a complimentary consultation.