Why do i pee when I cough, sneeze or jump up and down?
The loss of bladder control or urinary incontinence is a common issue. It affects not only middle-aged men & women and the elderly, but younger people as well. Severity ranges from the occasional urine leaking, particularly when sneezing or coughing, to strong and sudden urges to urinate.
For most individuals, minor dietary or lifestyle changes and medical care can treat urinary incontinence symptoms. However, if symptoms disrupt your daily activities, pay a visit to your primary health care provider.
What are causes of Leaky Bladder & Urinary Incontinence?
- Age or Gender
- Family history
- Pregnancy & Childbirth
- Medical conditions (like diabetes or neurological diseases)
- Obesity & Smoking
- Weakened pelvic floor
Types of Urinary Incontinence:
While many experience only infrequent and minimal urine leaks, there are others who experience leaks more regularly. There are several types of urinary incontinence, each manifesting differently:
- Stress urinary incontinence – Urine leaks whenever you exert pressure on your bladder by laughing, exercising, sneezing, coughing, or lifting heavy objects.
- Functional incontinence – Also referred to as disability-associated urinary incontinence, this condition is caused by physiological or psychological factors that impair the person’s ability to locate or access the bathroom, manage their personal needs, or even recognize the need to urinate.
- Urge incontinence – Those who experience this suddenly feel an intense urge to urinate followed by an involuntary loss of urine. Likely causes include minor conditions, like an infection, or a more serious condition like diabetes or a neurological disorder.
- Overflow incontinence which is the constant or frequent dribbling of using results from the bladder’s inability to empty completely. While Mixed incontinence is more than one type of urinary incontinence, usually a combination of urge and stress incontinence.
Urinary incontinence can be caused by physical problems, underlying medical conditions, or daily habits. See your doctor to get to the bottom of your condition.
Transient Urinary Incontinence
There are time loss of bladder control can be short-lived. Caused by medications, illnesses or pregnancy, transient urinary incontinence can be temporary and can be resolved by treating the condition or avoiding certain food.
Foods to avoid for urinary incontinence & leaky bladder?
- Food, Drinks, and Drugs – Some medications, food, and drinks have a diuretic effect, which stimulates the bladder and increases the volume of urine. These include
- Carbonated drinks and sparkling water
- Large doses of vitamin C
- Various muscle relaxants, sedatives, heart and blood pressure medications
- Foods that are rich in sugar, spice, or acid
- Chilli peppers
- Artificial sweeteners
- Constipation – The rectum and your bladder share various nerves. Constipation causes the nerves to be overactive, leading to frequent urination or leaky bladder.
- Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) – UTI irritates the bladder, causing intense urges to urinate and, sometimes results in incontinence.
- Persistent Urinary Incontinence – Urinary incontinence can also become a persistent problem caused by the underlying physical changes or conditions such as:
- Menopause – Post menopause, females produce less estrogen, which is responsible for maintaining the lining of your urethra or bladder.
- Changes brought about by age – The aging of your bladder muscle diminishes its capacity to store urine while increasing involuntary bladder contractions.
- Obstruction – A tumour lodged anywhere in the urinary tract blocks normal urine flow.
- Pregnancy – Increased weight and hormonal changes may lead to stress incontinence.
- Childbirth – Vaginal delivery weakens muscles required for bladder control after having a baby and can damagethe bladder nerves and tissue. Unchecked, this can lead to pelvic prolapse, resulting in urinary incontinence.
How to treat Leaky Bladder without surgery?
Treatment for leaky bladder and urinary incontinence will depend on the incontinence type, and the underlying cause. A combination of treatments may be required. However, if you have an underlying condition that causes the symptoms, your physician will treat that condition first.
Fortunately, there are non-surgical options for loss of bladder control: Kegel exercises that help strengthen the pelvic floor as well as a variety of non-surgical treatments, can assist for stress or functional urinary incontinence.
What medications help with Urinary Incontinence and Leaky Bladder?
Topical estrogen which comes in the form of a vaginal cream or patch can help restore tissues in the vagina & urinary tract. For men, Alpha Blocker to make it easier to empty the bladder by relaxing muscles in the prostate areas can be beneficial. As well, ask your doctor about medications that help minimize urge incontinence or increase the amount you are able to release at one time.
What exercises can help with bladder control?
Behavioural techniques require certain lifestyle changes, including:
- Pelvic floor therapy & muscle exercises – Kegels
These exercises are aimed at strengthening the muscles that help control your urination. Also called Kegel exercises, these are highly effective for stress and urge incontinence. Your health care provider may also suggest that you try biofeedback techniques or work with a physical therapist to help you identify and contract the right muscles.
- Bladder Training & Pelvic Floor Therapy
Regular Kegel exercises or working with a pelvic floor therapist is beneficial whereby you can learn about techniques that train you to delay urination when you have the urge. On your own, you can try holding urine in for 10 minutes each time you feel the urge to urinate. The aim is to lengthen your time between trips to the toilet until you’re urinating only every 2.5 to 3.5 hours.
- Scheduled Toilet Trips & Double Voiding.
Scheduling your trips to the bathroom will help minimize accidents. Urinate every 2 to 4 hours rather than waiting for the need to do so. This trains you to empty your bladder completely to prevent overflow incontinence. Double voiding means that after you urinate, you should stay on the toilet a few minutes more then try again.
- Dietary Changes
Manage your food and fluid intake to regain control of your bladder. You may also need to reduce your consumption of diuretic beverages like caffeine, acidic foods, or alcohol. Increasing physical activity, minimizing liquid intake, or losing weight can ease the problem too.
How does Emsella can help with leaky bladder & urinary incontinence?
- BTL Emsella®
BTL Emsella® is a non-invasive treatment created for people suffering from urinary incontinence. This Health Canada and FDA-approved procedure helps to minimize symptoms such as urine leaks when lifting heavy objects, losing sleep from waking numerous times in the night for the toilet, and leakages when you laugh.
It uses innovative High-Intensity Focused Electromagnetic (HIFEM) technology that stimulates the pelvic floor muscle and treats urge, stress, and mixed incontinence. It makes your muscles stronger so they can hold your bladder and urethra tighter and provides better control so you don’t need to worry about inconvenient leakages.
- C02 Laser – Core Intima
Vaginal laser treatments such as Core Intima can also treat symptoms of urinary incontinence, leaky bladder.. along with other menopause or perimenopause symptoms such as vaginal dryness. CO2RE® Intima is Health Canada & FDA approved that tightens the vagina and supports the vaginal muscles using photo-thermal laser energy. By rejuvenating the tissue and mucosal membrane there is a stimulation of new collagen and elastin fibres, helping with overall health of the vagina. Core Intima also addresses issues of vaginal dryness and painful intercourse without hormones.
If you’re looking for a reliable facility for urinary incontinence treatment in Toronto, look no further than Clarity Medspa & Laser. For inquiries, you may call us at (416) 960-2222 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that our friendly team can assist you.