Long and thick eyelashes can make eyes look wider and more open. Considered a sign of beauty, they also serve an important biological function, diverting airflow to protect from water evaporation, pollution and dust particles.
Focussing on beauty, eyelashes are simply a great facial feature that benefit from accentuation.
You can make them stand out with a few techniques:
- Curling. Heat an eyelash curler under some warm water and dry with a soft cloth. Get all top eyelashes in the curler and gently clamp the curler at the base of the lashes for 10 to 15 seconds. To complete the curl, pump (i.e. open and shut) the curler carefully from the middle to the tip of the eyelashes for a few more seconds until a visible curve appears.
- Mascara. When applying mascara, look straight forward and place the wand at the base of the eyelashes. Gently sweep up, applying two (or more) coats until you get the thickness that you prefer. For the lower set place a folded tissue or post-it behind the bottom eyelash to avoid getting mascara on skin underneath the eye.
Keep eyelashes healthy with a few additional tips:
- Condition. Eyelashes can benefit from conditioning to keep them healthy and strong. Apply natural oils (e.g. olive, almond, coconut, jojoba) before going to bed can help heal damaged lashes.
- Nurture. Like hair, eyelashes benefit from a diet rich in protein, biotin (eggs), niacin (mushrooms), vitamin C, vitamin E and calcium. For damaged lashes, try a “mascara detox” by avoiding eyeliner and mascara for 48 hours.
- Enhance & Repair. Lash extensions can make eyelashes pop, but longterm use can be damaging. Consider growth serum or using enhancers such as Latisse to encourage natural growth or to fill in gaps after extensions.
For more information about enhancing the eye area call Clarity Medspa and Laser Centre at (416) 960-2222 or email@example.com to request a complimentary consultation.