5 Must-Try Anti-Aging Treatments in Toronto
As we age, so does our skin. Besides heredity, other factors such as the sun, harsh weather, our lifestyles and personal (bad) habits contribute to a faster, premature skin aging process. This is how most of us develop discolouration and fine lines at such a young age.
Eating healthy and drinking our daily dose of H2O may help slow down the effects of aging, but these alone cannot significantly reduce its more apparent physical signs. Supplement your good anti-aging habits with a treatment that can address your specific skin aging issue such as wrinkles, dark spots, or sagging skin.
These safe anti-aging treatments are a must-try if you want to look AND feel younger without the added risks of surgery:
1. FraxelTM Laser Treatment
Fraxel™ is a non-invasive, microscopic laser that penetrates your skin to encourage new collagen and elastin growth. The treatment employs fractional skin resurfacing technology where only a fraction of the entire skin surface is hit with the laser.
Using this technique, the normal skin around the target hot spots promote effective tissue healing and collagen production, helping your skin heal faster with little to no downtime.
Benefits of Fraxel™
Fraxel™ is most effective as a skin rejuvenation treatment, as it helps:
- Reduce and remove your fine lines and wrinkles
- Improve deeper wrinkles
- Repair sun damaged skin on your face, neck, shoulders and hands
- Reduce age spots and blemishes, acne scars, and hyperpigmentation (areas of darker pigment or brown patches in the skin)
Early trials indicate that it is safe for use on most skin types, including Fitzpatrick skin types IV and V, Hispanic, Asian, Indian, and lighter toned black skin.
FraxelTM Treatment Options
While Fraxel™ has an ablative option, non-ablative laser skin resurfacing is more popular in Toronto since it is done without having to remove the outer layer of your skin.
- Fraxel re:fine™
This delivers a gentle yet effective option for skin rejuvenation and resurfacing. It targets water in the tissue and not melanin (skin pigment) and can treat up to 650 µm deep into the dermis of the skin.
- Fraxel re:store™ Dual
This is Fraxel’s flagship system, which is more versatile and can treat a wide variety of conditions. This system can be combined with other procedures or done separately to address different skin issues on the face, neck, chest, hands, and legs.
“Dual” refers to the two wavelengths of Fraxel laser designated to target distinct problem areas:
- The 1927 wavelength lifts hyperpigmentation, dark spots, sun damage, pre-cancer spots, and other forms of discolouration.
- The 1550 wavelength targets fine lines, wrinkles, and acne scarring.
What Does a Fraxel™ Procedure Feel Like?
Most patients indicate an increased sensation of heat mid-treatment. To lessen discomfort, topical anaesthesia is applied before the procedure. Fraxel handpieces also have cooling capabilities for improved patient comfort.
After the 25 to 30 minute treatment, you might experience a sunburn-like sensation, which dissipates in 1 to 3 hours. After the procedure, you need to protect your skin and follow specific instructions from your aesthetician. Desired results are usually achieved after the first session; however, your specific skin conditions will determine whether you need to come back for follow-up treatment.
2. Thermage® Skin Tightening
Thermage® is a skin-tightening procedure that integrates pulsed radiofrequency (RF), vibration and cooling to tighten your skin and firm your facial and body contours without discomfort or pain. Options for Thermage treatment include:
- Thermage Facial and Neck Tightening, which treats the following areas:
- Periorbital region (forehead and area around the eyes)
- Mid/Lower face (cheeks, area around the mouth, jaw line, jowls, and area under the chin)
- Lower face/submental (area around the mouth, chin, jaw line, jowls, and area under the chin)
- Full face (periorbital region and mid/lower face area)
- Thermage for Eyes, which reduces hooding in the brow area and under-eye bags, making for tauter contours around the eye. Fine lines and crow’s feet are also softened.
- Thermage Body, which is recommended after pregnancy or liposuction, tightens areas with loose, crepe-looking skin. A combination treatment of Thermage Body and Mesotherapy offers the potential of increased firming in the areas treated.
By the Power of Thermacool™
Thermage uses a patented technology called Thermacool™ to deliver a controlled amount of RF energy into the treatment areas with a sophisticated treatment tip called Thermatip™. A single touch of the Thermatip™ uniformly heats a large volume of collagen underneath your skin and its underlying tissue. This causes the loose and disorganized collagen structures to tighten immediately.
The Thermacool™ technology ensures that the outer layer of your skin is protected with cooling. During the treatment, the performing aesthetician will also ask you if you are okay with the level of heating from the RF pulses to ensure that you remain comfortable throughout the procedure.
With these added safety features, patients of all skin types, colours, and backgrounds can enjoy the benefits of Thermage.
Immediate Results, No Downtime
Depending on the size of the treatment area and the number of RF pulses needed, your Thermage procedure can go from 30 minutes to 2 hours. You may need more time to prepare your skin before treatment starts.
Your skin will feel tighter with a warm sensation right after a Thermage procedure. A single session delivers visible results, and in most patients, already suffices. Over time, you will notice additional tightening, as your skin continues to produce new and remodelled collagen that will further tighten your skin. This results in healthier, smoother, youthful-looking skin.
Most people return to their regular activities immediately following the Thermage procedure. Some people experience mild redness (like a sunburn), but it usually disappears quickly. No special after-care is needed, except basic skin care and broad-spectrum sunscreens
Other skin-enhancing procedures, such as Botox and Juvederm, work well with Thermage and may be used immediately or shortly after your treatment.
3. Exilis EliteTM by BTL Aesthetics
Sagging skin? Love handles? If you’re looking to battle these common signs of skin aging without the need for anesthesia or surgery, Exilis EliteTM should be your weapon of choice. This multi-awarded treatment is clinically proven to remove stubborn fat from your body while tightening and improving the texture and tone of your skin.
Safe and Effective Skin Tightening in Toronto
Using a non-invasive contouring device, Exilis Elite combines radiofrequency energy, ultrasound, and skin cooling to deliver controlled heating (40 to 42°C for 4 or 5 minutes in each area) to target tissues deep within your skin. Body treatments take between 30 minutes to over an hour, depending on treatment area size. Facials go between 20 to 30 minutes.
Depending on your specific anti-aging goals, your aesthetician may use one or both of the following Exilis modules for your treatment:
- The Fat Reduction Module heats fat cells to a temperature that causes them to ‘burst’. This module is found to be highly effective on areas of stubborn unwanted fat on the stomach, inner and outer thighs, upper arms and back.Some patients may achieve their fat reduction goal in just 4 sessions. For the fat reduction treatment to take full effect, you are advised to maintain your weight with diet and regular exercise.
- The Skin Tightening Module causes the collagen support tissues in the skin to tighten, stimulating and strengthening the collagen network which improves skin laxity and texture. Mostly used on facial areas prone to sagging, this module is perfect if you have loose and wrinkled skin on your neck, jowls, jawline, and under your eyes.
You should start to see some skin tightening after 1 or 2 sessions. Expect full results within 2 to 3 months following the end of your treatment course. To maintain these results, you need to reduce your time in the sun and follow a skin regimen using products with clinical active ingredients.
Is Exilis Elite Safe?
Since it is a non-surgical device, the Exilis Elite saves you from any risk associated with surgical fat removal, like scarring, infection, and poor wound healing. There is also no risk of burning since the procedure delivers precise heating and cooling plus real-time monitoring of skin temperature. Patients who undergo the procedure compare the deep heating sensation they feel to a hot stone massage.
While the Exilis Elite is suitable for all skin types, you are advised not to undergo this treatment if you are fitted with a pacemaker and/or metal implants (e.g. joint plates and spinal pins). The radiofrequency from the device can cause these items to heat up.
4. UltherapyTM Non-Surgical Skin Lift
Another way to boost collagen production, and in effect, tighten and lift your skin, is with UltherapyTM. This non-surgical procedure utilizes ultrasound technology to focus pulsing heat energy on the face, neck, brow and chest, where lines, wrinkles, and sagging usually occur.
Cleared by the FDA and Health Canada, Ultherapy has no known associated health risks and requires little to no downtime, allowing the patient to resume their regular activities post-treatment.
Skin-Deep for Best Results
As a therapeutic ultrasound device, Ultherapy harnesses the power of ultrasound waves to deliver profound, long-lasting collagen-boosting effects to both the skin and the layer of fibrous tissue surrounding your facial muscles. Not only does Ultherapy tighten your skin, but it also lifts your facial features, too — giving you healthy youthful skin inside and out.
Note that Ultherapy cannot duplicate the results of a surgical facelift. It is a viable alternative, however, for those who want a facelift but are not mentally, physically, or financially ready to go under the knife. Ultherapy is also a good “preventive” procedure, which makes it perfect for younger people.
Ultherapy vs. Lasers and Radiofrequency
Most non-surgical anti-aging procedures share the same goal of collagen production and slowing down the aging process. Ultherapy, however, differs from other kinds of procedures in that:
- It’s a one-off treatment. Since it delivers defined columns of higher (albeit controlled) temperature to the skin, Ultherapy is proven to bear stronger clinical outcomes. Whereas radiofrequency or regenerative lasers will necessitate a course of treatments, you can have a single 30- to 90-minute Ultherapy session and get the same results, saving you time and energy, especially if you travelled far to undergo this procedure.
- The visualization aspect ensures added safety. Ultherapy is the only non-invasive aesthetic procedure that uses ultrasound imaging, which allows the practitioner to see the areas being treated in real-time. This helps ensure that the energy is delivered precisely where it is most beneficial to the patient.
5. Skin Care for Anti-Aging
Treating fine lines and wrinkles doesn’t necessarily require a trip to the cosmetic surgeon. Establishing and sticking to your own anti-aging skin care routine is the best way to slow down the aging process without the side effects from clinical treatments.
Depending on your specific anti-aging needs, you can build your skin care regimen around these tried and tested anti-aging skin care product lines:
Your Go-To Anti-Aging Medical and Laser Clinic in Toronto
Clarity Medspa & Laser Centre offers all of these anti-aging treatments and skin care products at the best prices possible. Not sure which one is best for you? Talk to us via 416-960-2222 or [email protected] and begin your anti-aging journey with us!